Complaints Policy

Silsden Group Practice



If you have a complaint or concern about the service that you have received from your practice or any of the staff working here, please let us know.  We operate a practice complaints procedure as part of a NHS system for dealing with complaints.  Our complaints system meets NHS national criteria.


How to complain


We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, often at the time they arise and with the person concerned.  If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible – ideally, within a matter of days or at most, a few weeks – because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.  If it is not possible to do that, please let us have details of your complaint:


·         within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem: or

·         within 12 months of becoming aware that you have something to complain about.


Complaints should be addressed to the Senior Partner.  Alternatively, you may ask for an appointment with your practitioner, in order to discuss your concerns.  He/she will explain the complaints procedure to you and will make sure that your concerns are dealt with promptly.  It will be a great help if you are as specific as possible about your complaint.


What we shall do


We shall acknowledge your complaint within three working days, and offer to discuss and agree with you the manner in which the complaint will be dealt with – ie agreeing a way forward that would be helpful.  At the same time we would advise you of ICAS for independent help and support should you so wish. 

Our agreement with you for a way forward will include


·         Clarification of issues

·         What your desired outcome would be for resolving the complaint

·         Agreeing /negotiating a timescale


When we look into your complaint, we shall aim to:


  • find out what happened and what went wrong;
  • make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this;
  • make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate;
  • identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not happen again.


Complaining on behalf of someone else


Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of confidentiality.  If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have his or her permission to do so.  A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this.


Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALs)


The West Yorkshire Commissioning Support Unit also operates the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). They are available to offer advice and liaise with patients regarding complaints as appropriate. The service can be contacted on 0800-0525-270 or email


You may also like to contact ICAS, the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service who can offer you independent help and advice in making a complaint. The telephone number to contact is 0808 802 3000.


Complaints and Comments Form


silsden group practice complaints procedure Apr 2013 – reviewed August 2015


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website